Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thrifted Basil Windowsill Planter

I was running some errands on the weekend and noticed that a church in my neighbourhood had a sign outside for a Saturday thrift sale. I screeched to a halt and popped in for a look. It is hard to believe from the outside, but the church has basically converted their auditorium/gymnasium into a thrift shop! The stage was being used for storage of stock that hadn't been sorted yet. It was much bigger than I imagined from the little sign outside on the street. Even though I love thrift shops, I found it a bit sad that they closed down a useful space and replaced it with a store.



The number of looky-loos confirmed that this is a popular hidden gem with the locals. I spotted a bundle of beautiful colourful fabric in a nice floral pattern. It was two drapery panels in a previous life and a lot of fabric for the $6 I paid. I'm still trying to figure out what I can make with them... I mean, have someone make for me!


I spotted a nice vintage red flour sifter too but I put it back since I'm not much of a baker. I did pick up a little wooden kids' stool for $1.50 since I think this will be nice to have in the garden when weeding. I might also paint it white and have it in the kitchen so I can reach the upper shelves!


I scored a nice aluminum vintage loaf pan which is now repurposed as a basil herb planter. It'll look great on the windowsill when my seedlings grow into larger plants. It was 50 cents, a great price for a new planter!




3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea with the loaf pan. I see them all the time at the thrift stores and it never crossed my mind to plant something in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works out, I'm concerned about the shallowness of the pan and lack of drainage. I put some sandy gravel at the bottom to help. I'll post a photo as the plants get bushier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little basil plants make me so happy. Great planter idea.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...